A cleaner, greener planet benefits everyone. At Kalia, we do our part to make a difference here on Earth. We believe that by promoting sustainable architecture and Green building we promote a brighter future. We also believe it is our responsibility to:
REDUCE our impact
Continually strive to go above and beyond current environmental protection expectations.
Take steps to reduce our carbon footprint.
Recycle waste and adopt earth-friendly buying habits, wherever possible.
PARTICIPATE in our community
Support environmental advocacy efforts and cultural activities in our local communities.
Encourage our friends, clients and coworkers to do the same.
Partner with and promote organizations that share our passion for preserving our planet.
EDUCATE ourselves and our friends
Learn from environmental experts and adopt best practices.
Help to keep others informed within our communities.
Encourage our friends to implement environmentally friendly practices in their workplace.
When Kalia was created, our vision was to build sustainable smart luxury villages using our unique style and deep knowledge of the region. Daily, we seek to create an adventure in modern “eco-living” – that is, living with a commitment to ecological and energy conservation. Our practices reflect our position that great adventures should begin with creative thought and responsible planning. Our villas offer an extraordinary sustainable lifestyle and act as springboards for adventure in Costa Rica. Each villa is thoughtfully designed to work with the natural contours of the terrain and promote appreciation of the Costa Rican landscape. Our works are sculpted to integrate with surroundings and gracefully blend the interior and exterior spaces, creating the feeling of living with nature.
We develop our villages with respect for the local culture in mind and seek to use local trade and locally manufactured products where possible. We also support local tourism through our Concierge, which coordinates excursions and tours by working closely with partner businesses in the tourism industry. We advocate for preservation of vital habitats and local wildlife, and collaborate with organizations that promote habitat and threatened species protection. Creating friendships and promoting cultural awareness are a constant focus for us.
If you know of something we’re not doing, or if you have any suggestions for organizations we should connect to, drop us a line. New friends are always welcome, and we are always on the lookout for ways to improve our game.
We feel that those who are blessed to enjoy a luxury lifestyle have reason to be inspired toward responsible stewardship of our planet’s resources. That’s why we equip all our developments with features, furniture and appliances that enable you to enjoy this lifestyle in a sustainable way. Here are a few:
• We use an advanced technology septic system that filters the waste water and circulates clean water back into the ground.
• Solar panels provide clean energy for the water heater.
• Every appliance and all electrical equipment has an “energy star” rating.
• Many furnishings and materials are created from recycled content.
• We provide and encourage the use of biodegradable cleaning supply and soaps.
• We Provide high end organic linens and bedding.
Our works are created to invite a merge of indoor and outdoor spaces. It has always been most important to us that our structures mesh gracefully with their surroundings. We achieve this through use of several techniques:
• Structures are conservatively proportioned, each custom-designed to work with the natural contours of the terrain and make the best use of space. By doing this we maximize panoramic view aesthetics while developing only as much as we need. The villas shine by being part of the environment, not overpowering it.
• Our villas have a minimal impact on the land. The buildings are incorporated with a smart structure pre-ordered to size and assembled on site in a manner that minimizes the use of heavy machinery and reduces waste.
• Windows and doors are strategically located to achieve maximum cross ventilation.
• Villas feature pocket slider windows windows which slide in to the wall and provide large opening and maximize the air circulation and strategically placed water features. These aspects work together with breezes flowing over the pool and water features to provide effective passive cooling which reduces the need to use energy consuming air conditioning.
• Our villas feature custom Green roofing systems that filter pollutants and CO2 out of the air and regulate the indoor temperature. They help to re-establish the natural habitat – and they’re rather easy on the eyes too!